Civil and Urban Engineering
- Phone: (718) 260-3632
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: RH 401C
Columbia University, Class of 1998
Doctor of Philosophy, Civil Engineering
Tongji University (China), Class of 1988
Master of Science, Materials Science and Engineering
Tongji University (China), Class of 1985
Bachelor of Science, Materials Science and Engineering
Polytechnic Institute of New York University
From: September 2012 to present
The City College of New York
From: September 2010 to August 2012
From: August 2006 to August 2010
Senior Structural Engineer
From: May 1998 to July 2006
CE 2113 Statics
CE 3122 Structural Dynamics
CE 4163 Materials Engineering
CE 6013 Theory of Structural Analysis and Design
CE 6023 Materials for Civil Engineers
Sustainable cement-based materials
Multi-scale Materials Mechanics
Structural and earthquake engineering
Awards + Distinctions
Faculty of the Year Award (2008-2009), Student Council, Polytechnic Institute of NYU
General / Collaborative Research
1. NSF-IDR Award (2010 - 2013), "Optical Imaging of High pH Dependent Degradation in Infrastructure Materials" (Co-PI with Prof. Masoud Ghandehari of NYU-Poly and Prof. Christian Brückner of UConn)
2. NYU-Poly Seed Grant (2010 - 2011), "Carbon Sequestering Infrastructure Materials Through Biomineralization" (Co-PI with Prof. Masoud Ghandehari of NYU-Poly and Prof. Rachel LeGeros of NYU)
- M. Ghandehari, C. S. Vimer, I. Ioannou, A. Sidelev, W. Jin, and P. Spellane, “In-situ Measurement of Liquid Phase Moisture in Cement Mortar”, NDT & E International, Vol 45, Issue 1, 2012
- A. Suwito, W. Jin, Y. Xi, and C. Meyer, “A Mathematical Model for the Pessimum Size Effect of ASR in Concrete”, Concrete Science and Engineering, Vol. 4, March 2002.
- W. Jin, C. Meyer, and S. Baxter, “Glascrete - Concrete with Glass Aggregate”, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 97, No. 2, 2000.
- W. Jin, “Corrosion Durability of Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete in Marine Environment”, Harbor Engineering and Management, No. 1, 1993 (in Chinese).
- W. Jin, “Applications of High Strength Concrete in Harbor Engineering”, Harbor Engineering and Management, No.3, 1989 (in Chinese).
- M. Ghandehari, A. Sidelev, and W. Jin, “Cure Monitoring in Mass Concrete”, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference (EMI 2011), June 2-4, Boston, MA, 2011
- Y. Xi, A. Suwito, X. Wen, C. Meyer and W. Jin, “Testing and Modeling Alkali-Silica Reaction and the Associated Expansion of Concrete”, Mechanics of Quasi-Brittle Materials and Structures, A Volume in Honor of Prof. Z.P. Bazant’s 60th Birthday, G. Pijaudier-Cabot et al, eds., Hermes Science Publications, Paris, 1999.
- Z.P. Bazant, W. Jin, and C. Meyer, “Microfractures Caused by Alkali-Silica Reaction of Waste Glass in Concrete”, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Fracture Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures, Gifu, Japan, October 1998.
- W. Jinand C. Meyer, “ASR in Concrete with Glass Aggregate - A Chemo-Physical-Mechanical Approach”, Concrete Materials Science, Vol. V, S. Cohen, S. Mindess, J. Skalny, eds, August 1998.
- W. Jin, C. Meyer, A. Suwito, and Y. Xi, “A Mathematical Model for Expansion of Concrete due to ASR”, Proceedings of ASCE 12th Engineering Mechanics Conference, San Diego, May 1998.
- Z.P. Bazant, W. Jin and C. Meyer, “Microfractures Caused by Alkali-Silica Reaction in Concrete with Glass Particles of Different Sizes”, Proceedings of ASCE 12th Engineering Mechanics Conference, San Diego, May 1998.
- C. Meyer, W. Jin, and S. Baxter, Concrete with Waste Glass as Aggregate, Proceedings of FIP Congress, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, May 1998.
- C. Meyer, S. Baxter and W. Jin, “Glascrete - Concrete with Crushed Glass Aggregate”, Proceedings of the CSCE, CGC/JSCE International Conference on Engineering Materials, Ottawa, Canada, June 1997.
- C. Meyer, S. Baxter and W. Jin, “Laboratory Studies of Alkali-Silica Reaction in Concrete with Waste Glass Aggregate Using ASTM C-1260”, Columbia University, New York, June 1997.
- C. Meyer, S. Baxter and W. Jin, “Alkali-Silica Reaction in Concrete with Glass as Aggregate”, Materials for the New Millennium - Proceedings of ASCE 4th Materials Engineering Conference, Washington, DC, November 1996.
- C. Meyer, S. Baxter and W. Jin, “Potential of Waste Glass for Masonry Blocks”, Materials for the New Millennium - Proceedings of ASCE 4th Materials Engineering Conference, Washington, DC, November 1996.
- W. Jin, “Study on the Corrosion of Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete”, Proceedings of the Third National Conference on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, Nanjing, China, September 1992 (in Chinese).
Authored + Edited Books
Faculty advisor, NYU:Poly concrete canoe team for ASCE concrete canoe competition
2009 ranking: 7th best product, 14th overral (out of 21 teams)
2008 ranking: 7th best product, 11th overall (out of 20 teams)