Computer Science and Engineering
University of Texas at Austin, Class of 1994
Doctor of Philosophy,
CS6913: Web Search Engines CS308/6803: Introduction to Database Systems CS908: Advanced Database Systems CS623: Operating Systems CS624: Advanced Operating Systems CS603: Design and Analysis of Algorithms I CS604: Design and Analysis of Algorithms II
- Web search engines
- Scalable information retrieval
- Distributed computation
- Data compression
- Parallel Computation
- Experimental Algorithmics
Awards + Distinctions
- NSF Career Award
- Best Paper Award, WWW Conference, 2005.
Current or past research supported by Google, Intel, SIAC, and JP, ()
- Modeling and Predicting User Behavior in Sponsored Search. With J. Attenberg and S. Pandey. 15th ACM SIGKDD Conference and Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), June 2009 (available soon).
- Compressing Term Positions in Web Indexes. With H. Yan and S. Ding. 32nd Annual ACM SIGIR Conference, June 2009.
- Using Graphics Processors for High-Performance IR Query Processing. With S. Ding, J. He, and H. Yan. 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2009. PDF [An earlier shorter version appeared as a poster at the 17th WWW, April 2008]
- Inverted Index Compression and Query Processing with Optimized Document Ordering. With H. Yan and S. Ding. 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2009. Improved Techniques for Result Caching in Web Search Engines. With Q. Gan. 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2009.
- Top-k Aggregation Using Intersection of Ranked Inputs. with R. Kumar, K. Punera, and S. Vassilvitskii. Second ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), February 2009.
- Cleaning Search Results using Term Distance Features. With J. Attenberg. 4th Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (in conjunction with WWW), April 2008.
- Geographic Web Usage Estimation by Monitoring DNS Caches. With H. Akcan and H. Broennimann. 1st International Workshop on Location and the Web (in conjunction with WWW), April 2008.
- Analysis of Geographic Queries in a Search Engine Log. With Q. Gan, J. Attenberg, and A. Markowetz. 1st International Workshop on Location and the Web (in conjunction with WWW), April 2008.
- Performance of Compressed Inverted List Caching in Search Engines. With J. Zhang and X.Long. 17th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2008. Algorithms for Low-Latency Remote File Synchronization. With H. Yan and U. Irmak. IEEE Infocom Conference, April 2008.
- Improving Web Spam Classifiers Using Link Structure. With Q. Gan. 3rd Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web (held in conjunction with WWW), May 2007.
- Efficient Search in Large Textual Collections with Redundancy. With J. Zhang. 16th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), May 2007.
- Optimized Inverted List Assignment in Distributed Search Engine Architectures. With J. Zhang. 21st IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'07), March 2007.
- Efficient Query Subscription Processing for Prospective Search Engines. With U. Irmak, S. Mihaylov, S. Ganguly, and R. Izmailov. USENIX Annual Technical Conference, May 2006.
- Efficient Query Processing in Geographic Web Search Engines. With Y. Chen and A. Markowetz. ACM Intern. Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD), June 2006.
- Approximate Maximum Weighted Branchings. With A. Bagchi and A. Bhargava. Information Processing Letters, 99(2), 2006.
- Interactive Wrapper Generation with Minimal User Effort. With U. Irmak. 15th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), May 2006.
- Efficient Query Evaluation on Large Textual Collections in a Peer-to-Peer Environment. With J. Zhang. 5th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, August 2005.
- Design and Implementation of a Geographic Search Engine. With A. Markowetz, Y. Chen, X. Long, and B. Seeger. 8th International Workshop on the Web and Databases (WebDB), June 2005. PDF (Note: an extended version is available as Technical Report TR-CIS-2005-03, Polytechnic University, February 2005)
- Hierarchical Substring Caching for Efficient Content Distribution to Low-Bandwidth Clients. With U. Irmak. 14th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), May 2005.
- Three-Level Caching for Efficient Query Processing in Large Web Search Engines. With X. Long. 14th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), May 2005.
- Improved Single-Round Protocols for Remote File Synchronization. With U. Irmak and S. Mihaylov. IEEE Infocom Conference, March 2005. PDF (Note: an earlier version with some of the results appeared at the 4th New York Metro Area Networking Workshop (NYMAN), September 2004)
- Optimal Peer Selection for P2P Downloading and Streaming. With M. Adler, R. Kumar, K. Ross, D. Rubenstein, and D. Yao. IEEE Infocom Conference, March 2005.
- The Perron-Frobenius Theorem and Some of its Applications. With U. Pillai and S. Cha. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 2, 2005, pp. 62-75.
- Approximation Algorithms for Array Partitioning Problems. With S. Muthukrishnan. Journal of Algorithms 54, 2005, pp. 85-104.
- Local Methods for Estimating PageRank Values. With Y. Chen and Q. Gan. 13th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), November 2004. PDF (Note: an earlier version appeared at the 3rd Workshop on Web Dynamics in conjunction with WWW 2004.)
- Compressing File Collections with a TSP-Based Approach. With D. Trendafilov and N. Memon. Technical Report TR-CIS-2004-02, Polytechnic University, April 2004.
- Improved File Synchronization Techniques for Maintaining Large Replicated Collections over Slow Networks. With P. Noel and D. Trendafilov. IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), March 2004.