Louisiana State University, Class of 2003
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering
Indian institute of Science, Class of 1998
Master of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
M. Regional Engg. College, University of Rajasthan, Class of 1996
Bachelor of Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Polytechnic Institute of New York University
From: September 2010 to present
Polytechnic Institute of New York University
From: September 2004 to September 2010
Louisiana State University
From: August 2003 to August 2004
Louisiana State University
From: August 1999 to June 2003
Punjab Engineering College
From: June 1998 to June 1999
- Advanced Composite Materials (ME7243) 3:0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Spring 2009.
- Introduction to Solid Mechanics (ME6213) 3.0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Spring 2008.
- Statics Laboratory (ME 2211) 1:0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Spring 2007-2009.
- Finite Element Design, Modeling and Analysis (ME 4214) 4:0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Fall 2006-2008.
- Mechanics of Materials Laboratory (ME3211) 1:0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Fall 2006, Fall 2008.
- Mechanics of Materials (ME 3213) 3:0 Credit, NYU-Poly, Spring 2006.
- Introduction to Materials Science (ME 2813), 3:0 Credits, NYU-Poly, Fall 2005.
- Materials Science Laboratory (ME2811), 1:0 Credit, NYU-Poly, Fall 2005.
Check the research projects at http://composites.poly.edu
- Multifunctional micro and nano-composites materials.
- Processing and structure property correlation for particulate composites and sandwich structures.
- Sensing of damage and structural health monitoring.
- Biomaterials and bioinspired materials.
Awards + Distinctions
Featured on National Science Foundation Discoveries page: http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117761&org=NSF.
Featured on National Science Foundation News From The Field page: http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=117510&org=ENG&from=newsField.
National Science Foundation Behind The Scene coverage: http://www.livescience.com/technology/bone-compression-injury-protective-gear-bts-100924.html.
Scientific American coverage and video: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=smashed-rabbit-bones-hint-at-hidden-2010-08-17.
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2009.
Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, 2009 (administered by the American Society for Engineering Education).
American Society for Metals – Indian Institute of Metals (ASM-IIM) Visiting Lecturership Award 2007.
Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn (2006-08).
High Strain Rate Behaviors of Composites and Heterogeneous Materials: Experiments, Modeling, and Simulations symposium, Materials Science and Technology 2010 (MS&T’10). October 14-18, 2010, Houston, TX. coorganized by Dr. Kyu Cho and Dr. NIkhil Gupta
• American Society for Composites: member since 2001, Membership Secretary (2011-Present), Chairman (2006-2012), Manufacturing and Processing Division.
• ASM-International: member since 1999, Board of Directors, Metro NY/NJ Chapter (2011-2014)
• TMS (The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society): professional member since 1997, Member of Composite Materials Committee.
General / Collaborative Research
- Marine Composite Materials (With Dr. Maurizio Porfiri)
- Blast and Impact Loading of Bones and Tissues: Deformation and Damage Mechanisms (With Dr. Paulo Coelho, NYU)
- Analysis of Knee Joints (With Dr. Peter Walker, NYU)
Detailed publication list is available at http://composites.poly.edu
- Lin, T.C., and Gupta, N. and Talalayev, A. Thermoanalytical characteristics of epoxy matrix-glass microballoon syntactic foams. Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 44, No. 6, 2009, pp. 1520-1527.
- Nguyen, N. Q., Peterson, S. D., Gupta, N., and Rohatgi, P. Effect of process modification on the microstructure and properties of fiber reinforced metal matrix composites. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 40, N0. 8, 2009, pp. 1911-1922.
- Nguyen, N. Q. and Gupta, N. Power modulation based fiber-optic loop-sensor having a dual measurement range. Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 106, No. 3, 2009, # 033502.
- Caeti, R., Gupta, N., and Porfiri, M. Processing and compressive response of functionally graded composites. Materials Letters, Vol. 63, No. 22, 2009, pp. 1964-1967.
- Gupta, N., Gupta, S. K. and Mueller, B. J. Analysis of a functionally graded particulate composite under flexural loading conditions. Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 485, No. 1-2, 2008, pp. 439–447.
- Gupta, N. and Pinisetty, D. A Review of Thermal Conductivity of Polymer Matrix Syntactic Foams - Effect of Hollow Particle Wall Thickness and Volume Fraction. JOM, 2013, 62(2): p. 234-245.
- Lao, J., Tam Naghdi, M., Pinisetty, D., and Gupta, N. Molecular Dynamics Simulation of FCC Metallic Nanowires – A Review. JOM, 2013, 62(2): p. 175-184.
- Luong, D. D., Strbik III, O. M., Hammond, V. H., Gupta, N., and Cho, K. Development of high performance lightweight aluminum alloy/SiC hollow sphere syntactic foams and compressive characterization at quasi-static and high strain rates. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2013, 550: p. 412-422.
- Poveda, R. L. and Gupta N. Post-impact residual high strain rate compressive properties of carbon fiber laminates. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2013, in press.
- Gupta, N. Modeling and simulation in composite materials – integration from nanostructure to component level design. JOM, 2013, 62(2): p. 136-139.
- Colloca, M., Gupta, N., and Porfiri, M. Tensile properties of carbon nanofiber reinforced multiscale syntactic foams. Composites Part B, 2013, 44(1): p. 584-591.
- Luong, D. D., Pinisetty, D. and Gupta, N. Compressive properties of closed-cell polyvinyl chloride foams at low and high strain rates: Experimental investigation and critical review of state of the art. Composites Part B, 2013, 44(1): p. 403-616.
- Shunmugasamy, V. C., Pinisetty, D., and Gupta, N. Viscoelastic properties of hollow glass particle filled vinyl ester matrix syntactic foams: effect of temperature and loading frequency. Journal of Materials Science, 2013, 48(4): p. 1685-1701.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Synthesis and processing of cast metal matrix composites and their applications. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 1149-1164.
- Rohatgi, P. K., Schultz, B. F., Gupta, N. and Daoud, A. Solidification during casting of metal matrix composites. ASM Handbook Vol. 15: Casting, 2008, pp. 390-397.
Authored + Edited Books
Gupta, N., and Hunt, W. (Editors) Proceedings of the symposium “Solidification Processing of Metal Matrix Composites”, TMS Annual Meeting-2006, March 12-16, 2006, San Antonio, TX. ISBN: 978-0-87339-625-7.
Favorite Books + Authors
Interesting links related to your field you’d like to share
Please provide a brief description of your teaching philosophy
My goal is to develop an educational framework that can turn students into individuals with problem solving attitude, strong knowledge base, multi-disciplinary skills and high degree of motivation. This can be achieved by integrating the modern educational and instructional techniques, latest technology and an innovative evaluation scheme.
What do you enjoy most about teaching at Poly?
The creativity and curiosity of the students makes Poly a special place.
Aside from textbooks, what other reading material would you recommend to your students?
I always have projects embedded in my courses. I encourage students to try new things in the experimental or simulation laboratories and connect their projects to the industrial or societal needs. Reading about famous inventors, inventions that changed the society, and the current societal needs is important for the students.
Is there a particular person who has made a significant positive impact on your life?
My teacher of middle and high school Mr. Jairam Vasu.
Outside interests or hobbies:
- Listening to Indian classical music
- Stained glass art
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." --Albert Einstein
Nikhil Gupta joined the NYU-Poly faculty in 2004 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor in 2010.
His research focuses on processing and structure property correlation for particulate composites and sandwich structures; modeling and development of multifunctional micro-and nano-composite materials; sensing damage and structural health-monitoring techniques including embedded sensors ultrasonic imaging; and biomaterials and bio-inspired materials.
He has presented 24 invited lectures and authored 3 book chapters, over 47 journals, and 75 conference publications and presentations.
A 1996 graduate of the University of Rajasthan in Jaipur, India, Gupta earned a Master of Engineering in Metallurgical Engineering (1998) from the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India and a PhD in Engineering Science (2003) from Louisiana State University.
Gupta is the recipient of numerous awards including the 2007 and 2009 Visiting Lectureship Award from the American Society for Metals-Indian Institute of Metals, the Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship administered by the American Society of Engineering Education, and the Junior Faculty Fellow, Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, Polytechnic Institute of NYU.
He is a member of the Composites Materials Committee of TMS and ASM-International as well as the editorial board of Composites Part B: Engineering, Elsevier, and the editorial advisory board of Scientific Journals International.