Contest participants join CSAW founder, Nasir Memon (center), at the ceremony.
After weeks of attacking cyber security challenges, students met to learn their fates at the award ceremony for Poly’s fourth annual Cyber Security Awareness Week (CSAW): Battles in the Cyber World on Tuesday, December 4.
This year's 1st place CSAW winners:
- Pitney Bowes e-Commerce Challenge: Tim Vidas, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- Essay Competition: Kurt Rosenfeld, Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY
- Security Quiz (team): Dan Guido & Boris Kochergin, Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY
- Digital Forensics Challenge: Tim Vidas, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- Security Research Poster: Oktay Altun, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- Capture the Flag (team): Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- Hardware Design: Mark Chaney, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Security Awareness Poster: Jonathan Voris, Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY
Students from over 75 universities nationwide took part in this year’s eight contest categories. Depending on the category, participants had about two weeks after topics were announced on November 1 to prepare their submissions which were reviewed by a panel of industry judges.
At the ceremony, winners received cash prizes, iPod touches, iPod nanos and priceless exposure to potential employers.
Edward G. Amoroso, Senior Vice President and Chief Security Officer, AT&T Service, Inc. and Brian Lopez, Computer Scientist, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory were keynote speakers at the event.
Professor Nasir Memon, Director of Poly’s Information and Internet Security Lab, created CSAW as a fun, challenging way to bolster interest and awareness about cyber security among students and professionals. This was the first year that it was open to submissions from across the nation, increasing the number of participating universities from last year’s 28 to this year’s 75. Students submitted more than 300 entries for the eight categories.
CSAW 2007 Sponsors
Assured Information Security, Inc., BAE Systems, Citibank, Cyber Diligence, Inc., igxgllobal, Microsoft, MITRE, NIKSUN, OWASP, Pitney Bowes and Polytechnic University.