The Office of Student Activities and Resource Center, which executes new student orientation, employs enthusiastic and resourceful student representatives of our diverse undergraduate population to assist with summer new student orientation. Please review the below application for additional requirements and expectations and thank you for your interest in becoming an Orientation Captain! Applications are due by end of business on Friday, November 1, 2013.
New Student Orientation (NSO) Captains are a select group of student leaders who play a vital role in designing elements and carrying out New Student Orientation at NYU-Poly. They have the experience of at least one NSO under their belt and take point coordinating the Orientation Leader Staff, easing the transition for new students into the NYU Poly campus and Brooklyn community. Captains will be focused primarily on NSO and will not be able to participate in NYU Welcome Week outside of training sessions.
What does it take to become a NSO Captain?
The ideal NSO candidate has the interpersonal skills necessary for interacting with both new students and their families. They should be outstanding juniors or seniors with NSO experience and a proven leadership track record. Captains will help recruit and train new Orientation Leaders (OLs) during the spring and help plan and administrate the Orientation Leader experience over the summer. Captains must be positive role models both inside and outside of their duties as NSO Captains. NSO Captains must have the following skills and abilities:
- Team players who cooperate with other OLs, faculty, and staff
- Possess a high level of maturity and sense of responsibility
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty and staff
- Maintain a high level of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Adapt and adjust quickly to different situations and responsibilities
- Analyze information and make informed decisions
- Campus or Community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
The minimum qualifications required to be a NSO Captain are as follows:
- At least one year previous experience as an NYU Poly Orientation Leader
- Completion of one full semester at NYU
- Junior, or Senior status at the end of the Spring 2014 semester
- Good academic and disciplinary standing at time of application and throughout the OL program
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Ability to work a set number of hours weekly over the months of June, July, and August in preparation for NSO.
- New Student Orientation planning and preparation
- Attendance at all information sessions, trainings, and New Student Orientation programs
- Remuneration: $1,000 stipend
- Orientation Captain training (Spring 2014)
- Orientation Leader Recruitment (March 2014)
- Spring Training (April 2014)
- Summer planning
- Final Training (August 2014)
- NSO (August 2014)
- Application Deadline: (November 30th, 2012)
Please complete the online application below. The short answer essay part of the application is designed to better inform us about your personal background, work history, academic pursuits, and interest & motivation for becoming a NSO Captain. Please be clear and concise in your written responses but give us enough information to learn more about you and your ideas.
Applications are now open for the 2014 year, and are due by Friday, November 1, 2013. Please note, your essay responses will determine your hiring so please make sure you are professional when responding. All final applicants will be contacted to set up a short in-person interview to be scheduled at the beginning of November.
If you have questions, please contact Stephanie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-260-3972.