Short-term Individual Therapy
Nearly all students experience occasional difficulties that can interfere with their success or sense of well-being. These can include:
- Academic problems
- Conflicts with friends, family, or relationship partners
- Indecision about academic major or career plans
- Excessive feelings of stress or depression
- Grief, loneliness, or any concern that is distressing and distracting
Psychotherapy is an opportunity to talk to a trained professional who will help you survey the situation, assess where the problem lies, and develop helpful solutions. The counselor will listen without judging you, will help you to clarify your own thinking and feelings, and will provide information relevant to your problem.
Enrolled students are eligible for short-term individual counseling. To schedule an appointment stop by our office in suite 232 of the Dibner Building between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
NYU-Poly CWS offers on-going psycho-educational and process-oriented groups throughout the academic year. Group therapy provides the opportunity for participants to share experiences, solve problems, and practice new skills in a safe environment through:
- Encouragement and support of other members
- Knowledge that members are not the only ones struggling
- Development of the ability to trust
We offer consultation services to assist faculty, administrators, family members, friends, and others on the NYU-Poly campus in their daily work with students. Examples of consultation activities include:
- Providing information about campus and community mental health resources and referrals
- Working with academic advisors and faculty to teach students how to cope with anxiety, stress, anger, depression, etc.
- Planning strategies to avert a potential crisis
- Responding to an psychological emergencies
A major component of the services we offer is interactive workshops designed to help student maximize their academic and personal effectiveness. We offer a variety of workshops on a range of topics including:
- Time management
- Importance of sleep
- Overcoming depression
- Overcoming procrastination
- Helping a friend in crisis
- Suicide prevention
- Managing anxiety
- Effective communication skills
These and other workshop topics are available and can be tailored for the needs of the intended audience.
Please keep in mind that since a workshop will be developed specifically for your needs, CWS suggests that you submit your request at least 2 weeks prior to the date you would like us to conduct the workshop. Send us an e-mail to submit your request.
- Wellness Exchange - The NYU Student Health Center's (SHC) Wellness Exchange provides a safety net for students in crisis situations; same day counseling assessments and psychiatric (medication and assessment) services. Medication prescriptions written by psychiatric professionals during walk-in hours at the Wellness Exchange are limited to a 5-day supply to address urgent situations only. For continuous psychiatric care and medication management, students can make an appointment at the NYU-Poly CWS office. Students can access the Wellness Exchange through a private hotline, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, which will put them in touch with professionals who can help them address both day-to-day challenges as well as any other crises they may encounter, including depression, sexual assault, anxiety, alcohol and drug dependence, sexually transmitted infections, and eating disorders. The Wellness Exchange is also available for students who just need to talk or to call about a friend. The Wellness Exchange is located in the SHC, on the 4th floor of 726 Broadway (Manhattan), and can be reached at (212) 443-9999.
- NYU Oasis - a part of the Mindfulness Initiative, find calming mp3s, start a yoga practice, receive expert advice and tap into resources related to mindfulness