The Dumbo Incubator on 20 Jay St fosters partnerships between start-ups and the massive market opportunities in NYC and especially DUMBO. We assist new businesses in obtaining resources and in forming alliances that are vital in a global marketplace. In addition to being part of an incredibly dynamic community of entrepreneurial talent, benefits of being a tenant company include:
Access to Talent
Ethnically, educationally, and technologically, New York City is home to one of the most diverse populations on the planet, creating an ideal climate to foster innovation and bring ideas to life. New York City has the established workforce and new immigrant talent with the drive to succeed and the knowledge to execute. The incubator connects start-up companies to this diverse workforce. The incubator has generated more than 150 new jobs since its opening in 2009.
In addition, incubator tenants gain unique access to the 4,500 engineering, science, technology, and management students at NYU-Poly, and the 40,000 students at NYU. These students bring a vast array of skills and fresh ideas that entrepreneurial ventures thrive on.
We also have a growing list of expert talent in specific technical and business development areas. We are working with our incubator companies to provide the right type of talent they will need to address any challenge.
Also it is widely believe that over 50% of people who work for venture- back technology companies live in Brooklyn.
Access to Markets
The incubator helps companies gain access to markets and customers through its close working relationships with several valuable NYC-based organizations including:
- New York City Economic Development Corporation
- New York City Investment Fund
- Manhattan Chamber of Commerce
- Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
- Brooklyn Economic Development Corporation
- Industrial and Technology Assistance Corporation
- Empire State Development Authority
- Business Incubator Association of New York State, Inc.
- DUMBO Business Improvement District
Access to Capital
Whether your business needs include venture capital, angel investment, experienced commercial lenders, or access to federal and state programs, the DUMBO Incubator has connections to many forms of growth equity and non-traditional sources of funding. We will help guide you through the multiple forms of financing available for an upcoming company.
We also have several investor funds based within the Incubator network.
Access to Research
Companies can collaborate on R&D with the many NYU-Poly research centers and institutes including:
- Brooklyn Experimental Media Center
- Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications
- Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing of Macromolecules
- Center for Construction Management and Technology
- Herman F. Mark Polymer Research Institute
- Institute for Mathematics and Advanced Supercomputing
- Institute for Technology and Enterprise
- Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies
- Transportation Research Institute
- Urban Infrastructure Institute
- Urban Security Initiative
- Wireless Internet Center for Advanced Technology