Google Citations for Department Faculty
In the Press
Major Awards and Faculty Highlights
Our faculty is supported by numerous grants from the National Science Foundation, as well as grants and contracts from other government agencies, foundations, and industry sponsors. All 16 of our tenure and tenure-track faculty are active researchers, with most being principal investigators on one or more NSF grants.
Some highlights of our standing faculty include:
- One ACM Fellow (Keith Ross)
- Three IEEE Fellows (Nasir Memon, Keith Ross, and Claudio Silva)
- Two Sloan Fellows (Boris Aronov and John Iacono)
- Five NSF CAREER Award Winners (Yi-Jen Chiang, Juliana Freire, Lisa Hellerstein, Nasir Memon, and Torsten Suel)
- Two IBM Faculty Award Recipients (Juliana Freire and Claudio Silva)
- MIT Technology Review Young Innovators Award (Katherine Isbister)
- Humboldt Experienced Researcher Award (Katherine Isbister)
- Departmental h-index > 100. (NYU-Poly CSE standing faculty has collectively published more than 100 papers with more than 100 citations.)
- Four women among our 16 tenure and tenure-track professors (Katherine Isbister, Phyllis Frankl, Juliana Freire, Lisa Hellerstein)
- Author of the most widely adopted textbook on computer networking, both nationally and internationally. Also fifth most popular CS textbook overall, excluding intro to programming texts. (Keith Ross)
- Fifth most prolific author in Discrete Computational Geometry, the flagship journal of Computational Geometry field (Boris Aronov).
- Awarded more than $20 million in research since September 2008.
- National Security Agency designated Center of Excellence in research as well as education
Major Best Paper Awards:
- Best Paper in Signal Processing 2012 award (awarded by the IEEE Signal Processsing Society): Yagiz Sutcu, Qiming Li, and Nasir Memon, "Protecting Biometric Templates with Sketch: Theory and Practice"
Best Paper in Multimedia Communications 2011 award (awarded by the IEEE Communications Society): Z. Liu, Y. Shen, K. W. Ross, S. Panwar, and Y. Wang, "LayerP2P: Using Layered Video Chunks in P2P Live Streaming"
Best paper award, 2nd prize, EuroVis 2011: E. Anderson, K. Potter, L. Matzen, J. Shepherd, G. Preston, and C. Silva, "A User Study of Visualization Effectiveness Using EEG and Cognitive Load"
Best paper award Eurographics Workshop on Parallel Graphics and Visualization 2011: L. Ha, C. Silva, J. Krueger, J. Comba, and S. Joshi, "Optimal Multi-Image Processing Streaming Framework on Parallel Heterogeneous Systems"
- Best paper award Eurographics 2010 Educator Program: C. Silva, E. Anderson, E. Santos and J. Freire, Using VisTrails and Provenance for Teaching Scientific Visualization
- Best paper award Infocom 2009: D. Wu, Y. Liu, K.W. Ross, "Queuing Network Models for Multi-Channel Live Streaming Systems"
ICME 2009 Best Paper: M. Ponec, Sudipta Sengupta, M. Chen, J. Li, and P. A. Chou, "Multi-rate Peer-to-Peer Video Conferencing: A Distributed Approach using Scalable Coding"
- Best Paper in Multimedia Communications 2008 (awarded by the IEEE Communications Society): Xiaojun Hei, Yong Liu, Keith Ross: “Inferring Network-Wide Quality in P2P Live Streaming Systems”
- Best paper IEEE Shape Modeling International 2008: H. Wang, C. E. Scheidegger, and C. Silva,"Optimal Bandwidth Selection for MLS Surfaces"
- Best Student Paper of WWW Conference 2007: Jiangong Zhang and Torsten Suel: “Efficient Search in Large Textual Collection with Redundancy”
Best paper award, IEEE Visualization 2007: C.E.Scheidegger,H.T.Vo,D.Koop,J.Freire,and C. Silva, "Querying and Creating Visualizations by Analogy"
- Best Paper of WWW Conference 2005: Xiaohui Long and Torsten Suel: “Three-Level Caching for Efficient Query Processing in Large Web Search Engines”
Best paper award Fifth International Workshop on Networked Group Communication 2003: L. Garces-Erce, K.W. Ross, E. Biersack, P. Felber, G. Urvoy-Keller, "TOPLUS: Topology Centric Lookup Service"
Best Paper Award of International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation, 2002: John Iacono: “Key-Independent Optimality”
- Best Paper Award of Eurographics 2000: Jihad El-Sana and Yi-Jen Chiang: “External Memory View-Dependent Simplification”
- John Sterling - Jacobs Excellence in Education Award 2010
- Joel Wein - Jacobs Excellence in Education Award 2008
- Haldun Hadimioglu - Distinguished Universy Teaching Award 2004
- Nasir Memon - Jacobs Excelence in Education Award 2002
- Haldun Hadimioglu - Student Acrivities Faculty of the year Award - 2010-2011
- Hadlun Hadimioghi - Nick Russo Memorial Helping Hands Award 2007
Google Citations for Department Faculty
Over 2000 Citations
- J. Kurose and K. Ross. "Computer Networks:A Top-Down Approach." Addison-Wesley. 2000-2012 (textbook)
Over 500 Citations
- E. Yablonovitch, T.J. Gmitter, K.M. Leung, "Photonic band structure: The face-centered-cubic case employing nonspherical atoms," Physical Review Letters, 1991
- S. Craver, N. Memon, B.L. Yeo, M.M. Yeung, "Resolving rightful ownerships with invisible watermarking techniques: limitations, attacks, and implications," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 1998
- KW. Ross, "Multiservice Loss Models for Broadband Telecommunication Networks," Springer-Verlag, 1995 (research monograph)
- X. Hei, C. Liang, J. Liang, Y. Liu, K.W. Ross, "A Measurement Study of a Large-Scale P2P IPTV System," IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2007
- X. Wu, N. Memon, "Context-based, adaptive, lossless image coding." IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1997
- M. Alexa , J. Behr, D. Cohen-Or, S. Fleishman , D. Levin, C.T. Silva “Point Set Surfaces” Visualization '01, 2001
Over 200 Citations
- A. Nealen, M. Müller, R. Keiser, E. Boxerman, M. Carlson, "Physically based deformable models in computer graphics," Computer Graphics Forum
25 (4), 2006M
- . Müller, R. Keiser, A. Nealen, M. Pauly, M. Gross, M. Alexa, "Point based animation of elastic, plastic and melting objects." Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics symposium on Computer Animation,2004
- A. Nealen, T. Igarashi, O. Sorkine, M. Alexa, "FiberMesh: designing freeform surfaces with 3D curves," ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) 26 (3), 2007
- R.K .Doong, P.G. Frankl, "The ASTOOT approach to testing object-oriented programs," ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology. 1994
- Y.-J. Chiang, M.T. Goodrich, E.F. Grove, R. Tamassia,sD.E. Vengroff, and J.S. Vitter, "External-memory graph algorithms." Proc. ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms (SODA'95), 1995.
- K.M. Leung, Y.F. Liu, "Full vector wave calculation of photonic band structures in face-centered-cubic dielectric media," Physical Review Letters, 1990
- J.M. McManus, K.W. Ross, "Video-on-demand over ATM: constant-rate transmission and transport," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 1996
- J. Kangasharju, J. Roberts, K.W. Ross, "Object replication strategies in content distribution networks," Computer Communications, 2002
- P.W. Wong, N. Memon "Secret and public key image watermarking schemes for image authentication and ownership verification," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2001
- S.A. Craver, N.D. Memon, B.L. Yeo, M.M. Yeung, "Can invisible watermarks resolve rightful ownerships?" Proceedings of SPIE, 1997
- M. Holliman, N. Memon. "Counterfeiting attacks on oblivious block-wise independent invisible watermarking schemes," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2000
- H. V. Jagadish, Viswanath Poosala, Nick Koudas, Ken Sevcik, S. Muthukrishnan, Torsten Suel, "Optimal Histograms with Quality Guarantees," Proceedings of the 24rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, 1998
- J. Hill, W. McColl, D. Stefanescu, M. Goudreau, K. Lang, S. Rao, T. Suel, R. Bisseling, "BSPlib: The BSP Programming Library," Parallel Computing, 1998.
- J. Liang, R. Kumar, Y. Xi, K.W. Ross, "Pollution in P2P file sharing systems," INFOCOM, 2005
- N.F. Johnson, Z. Duric, S. Jajodia, N. Memon, "Information Hiding: Steganography and Watermarking--Attacks and Countermeasures," Journal of Electronic Imaging, 2001
- Avcibas, N. Memon, B. Sankur, "Steganalysis using image quality metrics," Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2003
- N. Memon, P.W. Wong, "A buyer-seller watermarking protocol," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2001
- C. Huang, J. Li, K.W. Ross, "Can Internet Video-on-Demand be Profitable?," ACM Sigcomm, 2007
- K.W. Ross, D.H.K. Tsang, "The stochastic knapsack problem," IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1989
- N. Memon, P.W. Wong, "Protecting digital media content," Communications of the ACM, 1998 F. Bernardini, J. Mittleman, H. Rushmeier, C.T. Silva, G. Taubin, ”The ball-pivoting algorithm for surface reconstruction,” IEEE Transactions On Visualization and Computer Graphics, 1999
- FFFF. Bernardini, J. Mittleman, H. Rushmeier, C.T. Silva, G. Taubin, ”The ball-pivoting algorithm for surface reconstruction,” IEEE Transactions On Visualization and Computer Graphics, 1999
- D. Cohen-Or, Y.L. Chrysanthou, C.T. Silva, F. Durand, “A Survey of Visibility for Walkthrough Applications,” IEEE Transactions On Visualization and Computer Graphics, July-September, 2003
- M. Alexa, J. Behr, D. Cohen-Or, Shachar Fleishman, D. Levin, C.T. Silva, “Computing and Rendering Point Set Surfaces,” IEEE Transactions On Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2003
- P. Bohannon, J. Freire, P. Roy, J. Simeon, “From XML schema to relations: a cost-based approach to XML storage,” Data Engineering, 2002
- P.G Frankl, Weyuker, E.J, “An applicable family of data flow testing criteria,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1998
- P.G Frankl, Weiss, S.N.; “An experimental comparison of the effectiveness of branch testing and data flow testing,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1993
- K.W. Ross, "Hash routing for collections of shared Web caches," IEEE Network Magazine, 1997
- L. Moreau, B. Clifford, J. Freire, Y. Gil, P. Groth, J. Futrelle, N. Kwasnikowska, S. Miles, P. Missier, J. Myers, Y. Simmhan, E. Stephan, and J. Van den Bussche, "The open provenance model core specification (v1. 1)," Future Generation Computer Systems, 2011
- S.P. Callahan, J. Freire, E. Santos, C.E. Scheidegger, C.T. Silva, H.T. Vo, “VisTrails: visualization meets data management” SIGMOD, 2006
Over 100 Citations
- A. Nealen, O. Sorkine, M. Alexa, D. Cohen-Or, "A sketch-based interface for detail-preserving mesh editing," ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) 24 (3), 2005
- A. Nealen, M. Alexa, "Hybrid texture synthesis," Proceedings of the 14th Eurographics workshop on Rendering, 2003
- P.G. Frankl, E.J. Weyuker, "A formal analysis of the fault-detecting ability of testing methods," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1993
- T. Suel, C. Mathur, J. Wu, J. Zhang, A. Delis, "Odissea: A peer-to-peer architecture for scalable web search and information retrieval," International Workshop on the Web and Databases (WebDB), 2003
- V. Shkapenyuk and T. Suel, "Design and implementation of a high-performance distributed Webcrawler," Proceedings. 18th Internationalson Data Engineering, 2002
- L. Arge, O. Procopiuc, S. Ramaswamy, T. Suel, J.S. Vitter, "Scalable Sweeping-Based Spatial Join." Proceedings of International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, 1998
- L. Jia, R. Rajaraman, T. Suel, "Distributed algorithm for constructing small dominating sets," Distributed Computing, 2002
- D. Angluin, L. Hellerstein, M. Karpinski, "Learning read-once formulas with queries," Journal of the ACM (JACM), 1993
- Y.-J. Chiang and R. Tamassia, "Dynamic algorithms in computational geometry," Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Computational Geometry, 1992
- Y.-J. Chiang, C.T. Silva and W.J. Schroeder. "Interactive out-of-core isosurface extraction," Proc. IEEE Visualization '98, 1998
- Y.-J. Chiang and C.T. Silva, "I/O optimal isosurface extraction," Proc. IEEE Visualization '97 (Vis'97), 1997.
- J. El-Sana and Y.-J. Chiang, "External Memory View-Dependent Simplification," Computer Graphics Forum, 2000 (Special Issue for Eurographics '00)
- S.P. Chung, K.W. Ross, "Reduced load approximations for multirate loss networks," IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1993
- J. Liang, R. Kumar, Y. Xi, K.W. Ross, "Pollution in P2P file sharing systems," INFOCOM, 2005
- S.P. Chung, A. Kashper, K.W. Ross, "Computing approximate blocking probabilities for large loss networks with state-dependent routing," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), 1993
- J. Kangasharju, F. Hartanto, M. Reisslein, K.W. Ross, "Distributing Layered Encoded Video through Caches," IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2002
- P.G. Frankl, R.G. Hamlet, B. Littlewood, L. Strigini, "Evaluating Testing Methods by Delivered Reliability," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1998
- K.W. Ross and D. Tsang, "Optimal Circuit Access Control Policies in an ISDN Environment: A Markov Decision Approach," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 37, pp. 934-939, 1989.
- G.E., E. Biersack, P. Felber, K.W. Ross, G. Urvoy-Keller, "Hierarchical Peer-to-Peer Systems," Euro-Par 2003, Klagenfurt, Austria
- J. Liang, N. Naoumov, K.W. Ross, "The index poissoning attack in P2P file systems," IEEE INFOCOM, 2006
- J. Liang, R. Kumar, K.W. Ross, "The Kazaa Overlay Network: A Measurement Study," Computer Networks Journal (Elsevier), 2005
- S. Muthukrishnan, V. Poosala, T. Suel, "On rectangular partitionings in two dimensions: Algorithms, complexity and applications," International Conference on Database Theory, 1999.
- L. Hellerstein, G.A. Gibson, R.M. Karp, R.H. Katz, D.A. Patterson, "Coding techniques for handling failures in large disk arrays," Algorithmica, 1994
R. Chandramouli, N. Memon, "Analysis of LSB based Imge Steganography, Image Processing, 2001
S. Wiedenbeck, J.Waters, J.-C. B., A. Brodskiy and N. Memon, PassPoints: Design and longitudinal evaluation of a graphical password system, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 2005
K. Isbister and C. Nass, "Consistency of personality in interactive characters: Verbal cues, non-verbal cues, and user characteristics". International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 2000.
C. Nass, K. Isbister, E.J. Lee, "Truth is beauty: Researching embodied conversational agents." J. Cassell, J. Sullivan, S. Prevost, and E. Churchill (Eds.).Embodied Conversational Agents. MIT Press, 2000.
K. Isbister, H. Nakanishi, T. Ishida, and C. Nass, "Helper agent: Designing an assistant for human-human interaction in a virtual meeting space." Proceedings of CHI, 2000
F.J. Beutler and K.W. Ross, "Optimal Policies for a Controlled Markov Chain with a Constraint," Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 1985.
M. Kharrazi, H. Sencar, N. Memon, Blind Source Camera Identification, International Conference on Image Processing, 2004
- M. Hofra and K.W. Ross, On the optimal control of two queues with server set-up time and its analysis, SIAM Journal on Computing, 1987
X. Hei, Y. Liu, K.W.Ross, Inferring Network-Wide Quality in P2P Live Streaming Systems, IEEE Journal in Selected Areas of Communications (JSAC), 2007
- I. Avcibas, N. Memon, B. Sankur , "Image steganalysis with binary similarity measures," International Conference on Image Processing 2002
- S. Bayram, H. Sencar, N. Memon,I Avcibas, "Source camera identification based on CFA interpolation," IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2005
- Xiaolin Wu, N.Memon, "Context-based lossless interband compression-extending CALIC," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2000
- E. K. Wong, "Model-Matching in Robot Vision by Subgraph Isomorphism,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 287-304, 1992.
- S. Fleishman, D. Cohen-Or, M. Alexa, C.T. Silva, “Progressive point set surfaces” ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), 2003
- M. Gopi,S. Krishnan, C.T. Silva, “Surface Reconstruction based on Lower Dimensional Localized Delaunay Triangulation,” The Eurographics Association and Blackwell Publishers, 2000
- S. Fleishman, D. Cohen-Or, C.T. Silva, “Robust moving least-squares fitting with sharp features,” ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) - Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH, 2005
- J. Freire, C.T. Silva, S.P. Callahan, E. Santos, C.E. Scheidegger and H.T. Vo, “Managing Rapidly-Evolving Scientific Workflows,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2006
- S. Fleishman, D. Cohen-Or, M. Alexa, C.T. Silva, “Progressive point set surfaces,” ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), 2003
- M. Gopi,S. Krishnan, C.T. Silva, “Surface Reconstruction based on Lower Dimensional Localized Delaunay Triangulation” Computer Graphics Forum, 2000
- J. Freire, C.T, Silva et al, "The First Provenance Challenge," Concurrency and Computation, April 2008.
- J. Freire, D. Koop, E. Santos, C.T. Silva, “Provenance for Computational Tasks: A Survey,” Computing in Science & Engineering, May-June 2008
- B. Louis, S.P. Callahan, C.E. Scheidegger, H.T. Vo, P.J. Crossno, C.T. Silva, J. Freire, “VisTrails: Enabling Interactive Multiple-View Visualizations” 16th IEEE Conference on Visualization, 2005
- J.T. Klosowski, C.T. Silva, “Efficient Conservative Visibility Culling Using the Prioritized-Layered Projection Algorithm” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2001
- P. Lindstrom, C.T. Silva “A memory insensitive technique for large model simplification” IEEE Computer Society Washington, 2001
- J. Freire, J.R. Haritsa, M. Ramanath, P. Roy, J.Siméon, “StatiX: making XML count," SIGMOD 02, 2002
- P.Rao, K. Sagonas, T. Swift, D.S. Warren, J. Freire, “XSB: A system for efficiently computing well-founded semantics,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1997
- M. Benedikt , J. Freire, P. Godefroid, “VeriWeb: Automatically Testing Dynamic Web Sites,” Proceedings of 11th International World Wide Web Conference, 2002
- H. Davulcu, J. Freire, M. Kifer, I.V.Ramakrishnan,"A Layered Architecture for Querying Dynamic Web Content," Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data,1999
- S. Davidson and J. Freire, "Provenance and Scientific Workflows: Challenges and Opportunities," Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, 2008.
- J. Freire, B. Kumar and D. Lieuwen, "WebViews: Accessing Personalized Web Content and Services," Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference (WWW10), pp. 576-586, 2001
- V. Anupam, J. Freire, B. Kumar and D. Lieuwen, "Automating Web Navigation with the WebVCR," Computer Networks, 2000.
- A. Borthwick, J. Sterling, E. Agichtein, and R. Grishman, "Exploiting Diverse Knowledge Sources via Maximum Entropy in Named Entity Recognition," Sixth Workshop on Very Large Corpora; Montreal, Canada, August 1998
- A. Borthwick, J. Sterling, E. Agichtein, and R. Grishman, "NYU: Description of the MENE Named Entity System as used in MUC-7," Seventh Message Understanding Conference (MUC-7); Varginia USA, May, 1998
- P.G Frankl, S. N. Weiss, Cang Hu, “All-uses vs. mutation testing: An experimental comparison of effectiveness,” Journal of Systems and Software,1997
- P.G. Frankl, Vokolos, F.I, “Empirical evaluation of the textual differencing regression testing technique,” IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, 1998
- L. Hellerstein, G.A. Gibson, R.M. Karp, D.A Patterson, “ Failure correction techniques for large disk arrays,” ASPLOS-III Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, 1989.
- L. Hellerstein, K. Pillaipakkamnatt, V. Raghavan, D. Wilkins, “How many queries are needed to learn?” Journal of the ACM, 1996
- N. Memon, S. Wiedenbeck, J. Waters, J.C. Birget, A. Brodskiy, “Authentication using graphical passwords: effects of tolerance and image choice,” SOUPS '05 Proceedings of the 2005 Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, 2005
- Ross K.W, X. Hei, Y. Liu, “IPTV over P2P streaming networks: the mesh-pull approach,” IEEE Communications Magazine, 2008
- N.Naoumov, K.W. Ross, “Exploiting P2P systems for DDoS attacks,” InfoScale ‘06 Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Scalable Information Systems, 2006
- C. Silva, R. Avila, T. He, L. Hong, A. Kaufman ,H. Pfister , L. Sobierajski, S.Wang, “VolVis: a diversified volume visualization system.” IEEE Conference on Visualization, 1994
- T. Suel, M. Goudreau, K. Lang, S. Rao, T. Tsantilas, “Towards efficiency and portability: programming with the BSP model,” Proceedings of the Eighth Annual ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, 1996
- M. Hofri and KW Ross, "On the optimal control of two queues with server setup times and its analysis," SIAM journal on computing, 1987
- E. K. Wong and M. Chen, “A New Robust Algorithm for Video Text Extraction,” Pattern Recognition, Vol. 36, June 2003, pp. 1397-1406.
- J. Huang, Z. Liu, Y. Wang, Y. Chen, and E. K. Wong, "Integration of Multimodal Features for Video Classification based on HMM", Proc. IEEE Third Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, Copenhagen, Denmark, Sept 13-15, 1999.